Recipe - Beef Stock
One of the staples of the pantry should be beef and chicken stock and since you probably received a bunch of bones from the beef you committed to this year, you should be able to make a lot of it and store in restaurant-style take out containers for the fridge, ziplock bags laid flat in the freezer (not the best) or pressure canned for your larder. However you do it, once you make stock, you will have a hard time buying it from the store and certainly will be more healthy because of it!
- Roast bones at 450 degrees for 45-60 minutes
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, smashed lightly, top taken off for sure
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2, 3 finger pinches kosher salt
- 3 bay leaves
- one bouquet garnit of parsley, thyme and rosemary
Best method is to put all in your crock pot when you go to bed for 8 or so hours on low and wake up, skim the fat, discard the solids (give bones to dog maybe), and then store in fridge to cool completely. Put into whichever storage containers you like. We prefer restaurant-style take out containers in the 2 cup and 4 cup variety.